Monday, July 25, 2005

Floundering???....Reflection.....

I don't feel I've been playing my best limit game lately......kind of like a rut I guess. I've been mixing in 3/6 to go along with my 2/4....usually will have two tables of each running. It's not the results.....even though I'm down over the last week.....it's the poor decision making. I need to dive deeper into my PT data to be uncover any new sprung leaks. I've gone on downswings where I still know I'm making solid decisions before and that doesn't bother me.....this has a different feel however. For the very first time since I started this journey it began feeling like a grind....and I wasn't enjoying my time at the virtual felt. I've always enjoyed it and I'm sure it's just a current rut....we shall see.

Since I started this journey I have only pulled a little money out once........right before my last Vegas trip for my Dad's surprise 50th birthday. I had made several deposits when I first started.....they'd last a little while at times and then eventually I'd be down to nothing. No single deposit was ever more than $100. My total deposits totaled somewhere around $550. (I wish I knew the exact number) When that last deposit went in I had told my wife that was it if it got back down to nothing. I used some birthday money I had received some in cash and some after returning a couple of oddball gifts. We don't have a lot of "extra" money......my wife stays home with our three kids who mean the world to us. I decided at that point I wanted to get serious and study the game. I knew I could be a good solid player and make some side money playing this game. I hoped (and still do) to be able to use some money to help pay down some bills and debt to help us get ahead of the "game".

That was last August. I don't know the exact date but I know I'm approaching the one year anniversary of it. It's been a good year. My game has improved immensely and I love it! My goal back then was to build my bankroll up to $3000 starting at the .50/1 limits and working my way up. I told myself I wouldn't withdraw a penny until I reached that $3000 mark and then I would evaluate where I was and decide if I wanted to start pulling out a percentage each month I was above that mark. I broke that when I pulled out $500 to help fund my Vegas trip. That was for my Dad's 50th birthday surprise and it was well worth it. I realized with that withdrawel that I was almost fully funded online with pure winnings and the next withdrawel would put me there. That has happened. Am I at my mark of $3000? No. Without this latest withdrawel I would be within a couple hundred of it. That's twice now I've broken my promise to myself. I withdrew another $500. My oldest son has his 4 year old birthday party this Saturday and he loves those giant moonwalk jumpers so I am using $200 to rent one all day Saturday for his party. It's even a spiderman jumper and his party has a spiderman theme. I can't wait to see the look on his face. It will be well worth another withdrawel. I decided that even though I wasn't at my preset goal.......so what. I'm a family man and love being a Dad....what better way to use some of that money. The other $300 is for me (this is the selfish part). I am using $120 to buy-in to a satellite tournament at Trump on Thursday as a reward (a little early) for one year of successful online play and the rest I am using to buy my wife a special little gift for being so wonderful....just because.

This means I am now officially playing with 100% winnings. Not all of that is winnings per se as I did a lot of bonus whoring early on to build my roll quicker and I'd recommend it to anyone. If any of you out there are "stuck" at the low limits and keep having to re-deposit stick with it and committ to studying the game. One thing I stopped doing was playing SNG's and MTT. I didn't play ANY for 6 months. Now I mix some in from time to time for a change of pace from the limit grind but early on with a minimal bankroll it did nothing but siphon money from my roll. I know there are people who are successful at strictly SNG's or NL ring games and that's great.....my point is to pick one game and stick with it. I plan to dabble more in NL as time goes on as I feel I am solid now and am interested to know how good I can be. Time will tell.

I hope to get a tourney together Saturday night at the house following the party and will be playing in the live satellite at Trump Thursday followed by some live limit action with my brother. We have some out of town guests coming in Wednesday through Sunday so online poker will be minimal at best. I'll probably play tonight or tommorrow night but have been thinking about taking the week off from online......we shall see.

Hope this all flowed ok.....felt like I was all over the place but wanted to get some things down....til next time.

Baz Out
|